A shop in the village of Le Castellet, near Bandol.
MEET-UP! Come to our home for a wine-tasting on September 13th or Sept 28th! To reserve your seat, email firstname.lastname@example.org
le commerce équitable (koh-mairce-ay-kee tahbl)
: fair trade
Le commerce équitable est un commerce conçu pour assurer une juste rémunération à des producteurs des pays pauvres afin qu’ils puissent développer leur activité à long terme et améliorer leur niveau de vie. -LaToupie.org (Fair trade is a business designed to assure fair payment to producers in poor countries so that they might develop their activity for the long term and improve their standard of living.)
A DAY IN A FRENCH LIFE... by Kristin Espinasse
Anniversaries, deaths, and périménopause. Whew! I think another bullet post is in order...
- Happy 20th anniversary Dad & Marsha! Gros gros bisous.
- Can we talk? Adieu Joan Rivers.
- From Chief Grape to assistant caveau. Jean-Marc's gone back-to-school at Chateau Pibarnon!
- Monday = mother-in-law's shoulder surgery. Priez pour elle.
- Bleu? But my daughter asked for blonde!
- I love bells! jingle bells. Cow bells. sleigh bells. Everything but Hell's bells.
- Périménopause, vraiment?
- Took only two years to realize the local post office has a drive-thru.
- drive-thru = service au volant. ("service on the fly")
- When you return an empty pitcher to the frigo, you are giving your mom (or wife) a glass of air with which to quench her thirst on a sizzling hot day.
- Pickle juice is no substitute for vinegar when washing windows.
- Just because you signed up for my double opt-in email newsletter does not mean you can automatically add me to your mass mailing!
- Did the previous bullet sound arrogant or self-important?
- Walk a mile in another's souliers.
- Non spelled backwards is noN.
- Always end on a positive note.
- The cicadas are gone. Hello cricket song!
gros bisous = big big kisses
adieu = "until God" (goodbye)
assistant caveau = wine cellar helper
priez (prier) = pray
pour elle = for her
le frigo = fridge
vraiment? = really?
souliers (m) = shoes
Planted dozens of zinnia seeds. Only one took -- giving back a half-dozen flowers on a single plant! Sow generously. You never know who will reciprocate or how generously!
Has a friend forwarded you this post? Receive your own FREE subscription to French Word-A-Day. Click here
Ongoing support from readers like you helps me to continue doing what I love most: sharing vocabulary and cultural insights via these personal stories from France. Your contribution is vivement appréciée! Donating via PayPal is easy when you use the links below. Merci infiniment! Kristi
♥ Send $10
♥ Send $25
♥Send the amount of your choice
"Bonjour, Kristin, I have enjoyed your blog now for a great number of years, watching your children grow up, your moves from house to house, enjoying your stories and photos and your development as a writer. It's way past time for me to say MERCI with a donation to your blog...which I've done today. Bien amicalement!"--Gabrielle